1 chopped large yellow onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp dried thyme leaves
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 can of drained diced tomatoes
3 pounds ground turkey
1 pound 80/20 ground beef
3 cups of rolled oats
3 extra-large eggs, beaten
½ stick of melted butter
• Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
• Saute the onions in olive oil at a medium-low temperature with the salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent for about 15 minutes. Keep the onions from browning by adjusting the heat down as needed.
• Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomatoes and mix well. Let it cool to room temp.
• Mix the ground turkey, ground beef and the oatmeal together in a large bowl.
• Add the beaten eggs and the onion mixture and mix well.
• Butter a ½ size shallow hotel pan or other casserole type baking vessel with sides.
• Put the meatloaf mixture into the pan, flatten it out, texture it with fork and then make two parallel dents lengthwise into the top of the mixture.
• Pour the melted butter into the two long dents.
• Bake until the internal temperature is 160.
• Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing (no need to remove the loaf from the casserole dish or ½ hotel pan because it helps keep the meatloaf moist.
• Bring 3 cups of chicken stock to a boil in a pan with 2 teaspoons of Beef Better than Bouillon
• Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
• Whisk in a few shakes of Wondra Flour
• Pour through a strainer to remove any lumps.
• Cook a big bag of extra wide egg noodles in salted water, drain, toss noodles with 1 T of olive oil
• Cut the loaf in half length-wise then into 1” slices width-wise. Place noodles on each plate and top with two of the 1” thick half-slices of meatloaf, ladle gravy over.
Note: A baby mixed greens salad with vinaigrette dressing pairs perfectly with this dish.